Topic: My magazines (almost all in PDF format)  (Read 1223 times)

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
My magazines (almost all in PDF format)
« on: February 26, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »
I've left my home PC copying across all 8839 x PDF files for all of the magazines that I have found (so far).

https://home.mycloud.com/action/share/e5e75ae1-3a43-4786-8b7a-5b7b1acc1b54

This is, currently, exactly the same as what's on the portable 1TB drive that I've left behind at RCM for the time being. As and when the contents are copied onto the NAS, then I'll grab the drive back.

A test last night with Karl showed that if I share the folder, then anything and everything is available to download. Which is odd as the WD My Cloud software says that this shouldn't be possible as I'm just sharing a read-only link to that folder. Hmmm ...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:31:36 PM by muguk »

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
Re: My magazines (almost all in PDF format)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 06:53:03 PM »
From now on, any new additions won't be on the RCM copy until we can sort out the NAS drives syncing between themselves.

1) Karl has added 10 issues of Oric Owner to the cloud copy

2) I've added the new Amstrad book (not by KH) to the pile. It was given away free by the author.

3) I've also added all PDF issues (in A4 and mobile-friendly formats) of the new-ish magazine 'The Classic Adventurer'.

Does anyone want the full set of MagPi magazines adding? They give them away digitally (via PDF) on their website, but don't want to get RCM into any bother.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:37:02 AM »
I went through the painful process of grabbing all of the Your Computer mags from the web archive. The complete set is now on my cloud.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »
Found a few issues of ST Action online, so they're now up there. There's a load missing, so if Dave's looking for some scanning to do when RCM is open again ... :)

Also the disk-based magazine (inc. the protected disk images) are also available for STampede.  They also did an Amiga flavour of the magazine, but not found those yet (unless RCM has them?)

Offline DC The Juggler

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 12:15:33 PM »
I'm loving what you've done so far Mike, keep up the good work.
I was looking forward to the playing with the book scanner you donated to the museum, I'd only just about finished getting the museum's magazines collection in the right order and in labled boxes when we went into lock down.
If I manage to find and scan any missing magazines I'll keep you updated. However, my next job was going to be documenting what magazines we had, that's going to take a little while, longer now I can't even go and look at them.

David
Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »
I added a load more magazines yesterday after 'accidentally' tripped over a TOSEC PIX release from late 2019. Lots of old Mac magazines found and will need sorting, but lots of new ones up there.

Also found a working Dolphin setup, I'd not known just how far the GC & Wii had got with emulation. Most suprised and a nice front end too.

Offline DC The Juggler

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
I'm not sure how much of a completist you want to be with your collection Mike but I found a few more Acorn publications (eg Disk User magazine and The Beebon magazine) for you to download if you want here
http://8bs.com/magazines.htm

David
Elite since 1987 on the BBC B, so why does Elite Dangerous on my PC say I'm only Deadly?

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:08:24 PM »
Grabbed about half that site before I went to see Oldenburg Computer Museum back in January. Forgot to go back and get the rest of the stuff, which I'm doing now.

There's a few gaps in some of their collection, so maybe further down the line RCM can fill in those gaps?

Offline DC The Juggler

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 01:01:21 PM »
Would love to, I know from memory that we have at least a couple of issues of A&B Computing

Offline DC The Juggler

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »
I've started the long boring process of scanning magazines that can not be found on the internet. As an Acorn fan-boy, I'm concentrating for now on BBC Micro magazines that are not currently available on 'The BBC and Master Computer Public Domain Library' - 8bit Software
http://8bs.com/
I'm in contact with the site owner and he's agreed that he will thank 'David from the Retro Computer Museum' for the scans that he posts on the site.
They will slowly be added to my Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_F60q9ANhGvauxIakQ2F99TRHMVepyqu?usp=sharing
I tried using the fancy overhead book scanner that Mike donated but the results were not great when used on colour magazines (sorry Mike). So I'm sticking to a flatbed scanner which unfortunately takes about 1 hour 45 mins per magazine. My ambition is to scan one magazine a day, we'll see how long that lasts, but I've only done 5 so far with at least 80 magazines left and I'm getting bored of the job already.

David

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »
Did you try using the backlight as that seemed to work better with the few colour tests that I did?

Offline DC The Juggler

• C128
  • Kudos 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 12:09:09 AM »
Yes Mike you're right, with the overhead light all scans of glossy magazine paper had a big white spot in the middle. Unfortunately, with the backlight, the bottom of the page would often look darker than the rest as the software tried to be too clever and the contrast threshold makes it look worse.
Another problem was that the lasers try and guess the shape of the paper and distorts the picture it's sees to match. While that seems to work quite well on smaller books with paper that keeps an even shape, on magazines with curly edges, all that seems to go out the window and frequently tried to compensate for curves that are not there. Having to regularly manually edit the laser lines and the centre line was a pain. It seems to be worse when there is more black ink on the page.
On my Google Drive, there is now a folder called 'Scanned with overhead scanner' I have included the results of several hours of fiddling with the overhead scanner per magazine to make them look as good as possible, you can compare the scan of ‘Using your BBC Micro’ with the one I did with my flatbed scanner. Then you'll see why I decided to stick to the flat bed scanner. Pity, the overhead scanner is an absolutely gorgeous bit of kit and when or if I have scan a book, it would be the perfect tool for the job.

Offline muguk

• Sarcastic Git plc!
  • Administrator
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
  • Mug U.K(tm)
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Word Toolbox
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 08:18:15 AM »
Due to COVID, my replacement one with the higher spec, is still somewhere between here and China so I can't yet do any comparitive tests :(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:33:35 PM by muguk »