Offline Womble

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 34
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Arcade
Re: Virus . . .
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 11:15:02 PM »
Glad its back!

Trouble with googling for solutions to this stuff is it is next to impossible to know who to trust, there are plenty of malware apps out there that pose as applications to fix problems. All an app has is its reputation as you can't believe anything else.

I used to take a ghost image of the OS drive after installing XP, all the drivers bar the gfx card, all updates and all my software apps. Then when it needed a refresh it would take litterally 3 minutes to apply that image. Once applied I would install all the updates and then create a new ghost image for next time. Far far faster than installing XP, then the drivers, then all the apps, then applying all the security stuffs, all cracks and patches from scratch.
Sic Transit Gloria Atari

Offline Andy

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 17
    • View Profile
    • Retro Computers
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »
I used to take a ghost image of the OS drive after installing XP, all the drivers bar the gfx card, all updates and all my software apps. Then when it needed a refresh it would take litterally 3 minutes to apply that image. Once applied I would install all the updates and then create a new ghost image for next time. Far far faster than installing XP, then the drivers, then all the apps, then applying all the security stuffs, all cracks and patches from scratch.

Thats what I do too. Save loads of time!. Saying that, ive not made a new one since I installed Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.04. I will make a new one when I get my RTM copy of 7 next month (I work for a Microsoft Gold Partner!  ;D )

Offline woody.cool

• I get Woody for Camy
  • Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 11
  • HADOOKEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »
Trouble with googling for solutions to this stuff is it is next to impossible to know who to trust, there are plenty of malware apps out there that pose as applications to fix problems. All an app has is its reputation as you can't believe anything else.
There's also a few viruses & malware that pose as malware or virus removal apps

I also do this ..... I have images for every PC I've ever owned (even them old crappy DOS 486s that I brought to RCM in May)

Offline Amiga Man

• Amiga 4000
  • Kudos 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »
IT nearly F**K my laptop up for no reason and thankfully it already got Repair Window build in!!!  ;)

I like the laptop in ARGOS which got better GFX than me !   :(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:06:58 PM by Amiga Man »